Thursday, December 17, 2009

Compassion

The other day the kids and I watched Extreme Home Makeover where they helped the Ward family. The Ward's, a mother and her two grown children who live in Erie Pennsylvania in a rough neighborhood, run a youth development centre out of their home. They feed, give gifts to and just help kids in the neighbourhood that need it. While we watched it, I cried (it doesn't take much to make me cry) and Michelle just looked at me like I was crazy. Well, today about an hour after Michelle came home from school, she called me down to her room. I couldn't come right away but when I finally went down, she was bawling. When she finally told me what was wrong, she said that she didn't want any presents for Christmas this year. She said since watching that show she felt like there were so many other people who don't have as much as we do so she didn't want any presents this year. Oh, I almost cried. I was proud to see that she cared so much. You don't always see that side of her. We talked about it a bit and decided we would think of how we could help others more this Christmas. Then we were listening to Adventures in Odyssey online and it was about a family whose dad was in prison and they didn't have very much money for gifts so Whit and the gang helped them out. So what is God trying to say here? I'm not sure what we will do, there aren't really people in our small town that would need help and we're an hour from Swift and 2 1/2 hours from Regina. Any ideas??

Andrea


Breakfast
cereal with milk

Lunch
chinese - mostly veggies and some beef and chicken

Snack
2 cookies (Josh baked brownie cookies and Ben and I made peanut butter kisses cookies)

Supper
1 pc pizza
small salad


2 comments:

Yaneri said...

Very touching story! I usually make handmade cards. A personal touch to let the other person they're being thought of. Do you craft?

Happy Holidays!!
Yaneri

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be "anonymous" since I can't figure out how to sign in under my own name...
It is beautiful to see the Holy Spirit touching our kids in a special way and begin to bring change and more compassion for others.
Is there any type of program in your (big) area that helps families that you guys could go to as a family and volunteer at? Any widows in your community that need a family to visit them or spend Christmas with?
Sylvia